Re: [school-discuss] Donating 500 F/OSS Computers to Schools... SATURDAY!! (Pizza & Schwag from Mozilla!!)

Andrew Fife wrote:
We're trying to donate 500 Ubuntu computers to SF Bay Area schools this
SATURDAY... and we need your help!

Aloha Andrew

Great initiative; I wish you well. If it is of any help, HOSEF started doing things this way last year, and I developed a few processes that made it rather easy. Two of us knocked out 75 computers for schools in the Philippines last December, and this included cracking the case and installing the hard drive. It took us about 8 hours.

The Recipe for success includes

1 Clonezilla server per location
1 sda and one hda master image made from a 4gb or smaller drive
4 or more work spaces networked and powered. You can use the same keyboards and mice, but you may want to marry each monitor with a computer
4 or more ebnet boot diskettes
4 or more clonezilla cd's

One person gets the computers ready. This can include running memtest. You can boot clients to a memtest session using clonezilla. In batches of whatever, you etherboot the clients from the clonezilla server. By having prepared sda and hda images on 4gb, drives, you can clone anything in minutes.

After the computers are cloned and rebooted, run sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg from the console you will likely be dumped to when X11 fails. Then edit your /etc/udev/profiles.d/z25_persistent-net.rules file that has attached the golden images' mac address to eth0 and the newly created computers' mac address to eth1. Eliminate the eth0 entry, change eth1 to eth0, and reboot.

When rebooting, boot into a thin client session again. This time don't launch memtest and don't image the machine. Instead, launch another-client session from your clonezilla server. Now run gparted to resize your partition. You now have an imaged machine, the partition is resized, networking and graphics are working, and you are ready to run oem-prepare.

The next person who turns it on will set the username and password.

With a little planning and some help, 10 people could do 500 computers in a day. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance or offer any more insight. I've been to James' place at ACCRC; a true masterpiece of human service. I wish I lived near enough to come get down and dirty with all this FOSS lovin'. Have fun, please.

-Andrew

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford
Founder/Executive Director

HOSEF is a charitable non-profit with a mission to promote Free and Open Source Software by building learning opportunities around previously discarded but still functional computers. We appreciate the time you have taken to reach out to us. Beginning in 2008 we have to strongly encourage kind contributors like yourself to make a donation with your equipment. This enables us to put computers in parks, schools, community centers, developing countries, and the hands of children needing them the most.

If you have questions, please contact us at donations@xxxxxxxxx

The current suggested schedule for donations is:

PCs and laptops P4 and faster   Free
PCs and laptops PII and faster  $10
G3 iMacs/books and faster -     $10
17' monitors and larger         $10
Additional Keyboards            $1
Additional Mice                 $1
Scanners                        $1
Inkjet Printers                 $1
Laser Printers < 25 lbs         $20
Laser Printers > 25 lbs         $20
Servers, Sun equipment          contact us
Non-functional equipment        $.75/lb.

If you are requesting a pickup, please give us your address, times of availability, and, if you intend to leave the equipment for us, the form of payment. Dropoffs are available if arrangements are made in advance.