Re: [school-discuss] Donating 500 F/OSS Computers to Schools... SATURDAY!! (Pizza & Schwag from Mozilla!!)

Daniel Howard wrote:
Scott, thanks for the info, I'm organizing a group here in Atlanta to do likewise, this looks like a great process. Since some of ours may go to homes instead of schools, I'm thinking of the following distros to use:

Ubuntu/Edubuntu for the donated PCs that have enough RAM/CPU/HDD for it.

Xubuntu for lesser PCs

Puppy Linux for the oldest PCs that can still be made standalone

and the oldest PCs that can't be run as standalones we'll make thin clients running off of the newest donated PCs as Edubuntu servers for homes with multiple kids.

Any thoughts?

I think you pretty much nailed it, Mr. D. I am, however, fiddling with Debian and Debian Edu for the stand-alones and servers. Some people end up really liking DSL on the older computers, but these are the more elite. I like the Puppy.

We've pretty much always taken this approach though the increasing number of P4s/Athlons/Opterons is changing it:

399 mhz and slower - Thin Client/puppy/dsl
400 mhz to 599 mhz - firewall/content filter/puppy/xubuntu
600 mhz to 1 ghz - stand alones of any flavor
1 ghz and up - Thin client servers or workstations with expected video/graphical editing/processing.

Clonezilla is master of the universe in this environment, and I don't know how I lived so long without it.

Try not to limit this to a one time or an occasional event. It needs to be a way of life until everyone who wants or needs a computer can get one. I realize that this is flying perilously close to the emerging, inexpensive, energy-efficient PCs and PDAs. For many, though, there is still a monumental difference between $50 and $200.

Rock on, Daddy-O.

Best, Daniel

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford
Founder/Executive Director

HOSEF is a charitable non-profit with a mission to promote Free and Open Source Software by building learning opportunities around previously discarded but still functional computers. We appreciate the time you have taken to reach out to us. Beginning in 2008 we have to strongly encourage kind contributors like yourself to make a donation with your equipment. This enables us to put computers in parks, schools, community centers, developing countries, and the hands of children needing them the most.

If you have questions, please contact us at donations@xxxxxxxxx

The current suggested schedule for donations is:

PCs and laptops P4 and faster	Free
PCs and laptops PII and faster  $10
G3 iMacs/books and faster -     $10
17" monitors and larger         $10
Additional Keyboards            $1
Additional Mice                 $1
Scanners                        $5
Inkjet Printers                 $10
Laser Printers < 25 lbs         $20
Laser Printers > 25 lbs         $40
Servers, Sun equipment		contact us
Non-functional equipment	$.75/lb.

If you are requesting a pickup, please give us your address, times of availability, and, if you intend to leave the equipment for us, the form of payment. Dropoffs are available if arrangements are made in advance.