Re: [school-discuss] Donating 500 F/OSS Computers to Schools... SATURDAY!! (Pizza & Schwag from Mozilla!!)

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, R. Scott Belford wrote:

> We've pretty much always taken this approach though the increasing number of
> P4s/Athlons/Opterons is changing it:
>
> 399 mhz and slower - Thin Client/puppy/dsl
> 400 mhz to 599 mhz - firewall/content filter/puppy/xubuntu
> 600 mhz to 1 ghz - stand alones of any flavor

May want to consider memory also. As an old 600 MHz system may only have
128MB to 256MB of real memory -- which (in my experience) doesn't perform
well for KDE and GNOME systems.

(By the way, I've been working on two books: The Lightweight Open Source
Desktop: Performance and Productivity on Minimal Systems -- and
Lightweight Open Source Servers and Firewalls.)