Re: [school-discuss] Help!

ptietjens wrote:
Anyone out there using commercial open source (free as in free speech) software in their administrative functions?

Specifically, I've just been told that after a year of deciding to ditch M$, our district will be purchasing two (two!) major pieces of software running with M$ SQL backends; financial and student management programs.

I'd take DB2, Oracle, whatever! At this point, I'm not even concerned about open source (though that would solve some of the headaches we've had with our existing apps for these purpsoses) as long as it isn't Microsoft!

Take a look here:

http://www.rdasys.com/prod3%20_mbgui.htm

That's for financials. I'm not sure just what you mean by student management, so I'll point to a few packages. Do you have to have commercial software (meaning contracted support, I suppose)?

http://k12admin.cmsd.bc.ca/
http://richtech.ca/openadmin/

Also, take a look at the apps in this category:

http://richtech.ca/cgi-bin/seul/seulvw.pl?category=Administrative

If some of the websites you're interested in don't resolve, contact me and I'll see what I can do to find them.

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss Courage is resistance to
Data Network Coordinator fear, mastery of fear --
Bloomsburg University not absence of fear.
dloss@bloomu.edu Mark Twain