[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [school-discuss] Welcome to Schoolforge! (93?)
On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Ilpo Halonen wrote:
> Now it seems that sendmail was used for spamming purposes. I let you see
> what was done by adding one feedback email from SpamCop to this mail.
No. It was the misuse of a web-to-email CGI. See below.
> If you could give me good advice about what is best to do in this situation
> to avoid intrusion in future, I would appreciate it very much.
* Use the latest stable release for your operating system and software.
* Uninstall or disable software and services that you do not use.
* Follow the security announcements and security discussion forums for
your operating system and software.
* Continuously update your software for important fixes or other
* Use periodic tools to detect security weaknesses, check file
integrity, and to do ongoing system maintenance.
* Monitor and analyze your logs and traffic for preventive maintenance.
* Backup all important data for rebuilding the system from scratch --
> - SpamCop V1.3.3 -
> Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
Don't use web-to-mail CGIs unless the recipient's email address can't be
(I believe that this discussion is off-topic for this list. You may want
to use a more appropriate forum.)
Jeremy C. Reed