Re: [school-discuss] Welcome to Schoolforge! (93?)

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Ilpo Halonen wrote:

> Now it seems that sendmail was used for spamming purposes. I let you see
> what was done by adding one feedback email from SpamCop to this mail.

No. It was the misuse of a web-to-email CGI. See below.

> If you could give me good advice about what is best to do in this situation
> to avoid intrusion  in future, I would appreciate it very much.

* Use the latest stable release for your operating system and software.

* Uninstall or disable software and services that you do not use.

* Follow the security announcements and security discussion forums for
  your operating system and software.

* Continuously update your software for important fixes or other
  critical problems.

* Use periodic tools to detect security weaknesses, check file
  integrity, and to do ongoing system maintenance.

* Monitor and analyze your logs and traffic for preventive maintenance.

* Backup all important data for rebuilding the system from scratch --
  and test.

> - SpamCop V1.3.3 -

> Below is the result of your feedback form.  It was submitted by

Don't use web-to-mail CGIs unless the recipient's email address can't be
changed.

(I believe that this discussion is off-topic for this list. You may want
to use a more appropriate forum.)

Good luck,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/