Re: [school-discuss] K12Linux Texas update...

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Doug Loss wrote:

> Funding is the proverbial elephant in the room, the big problem that
> no one wants to talk about.  We need to be able to pay the entry
> fees for these various conferences, transport people there, and make
> sure they have lodging and food while attending.  Oh, I suppose we
> should transport them back home, too :-).  All these things cost
> money, which is something most of us don't have and aren't
> especially interested in.

OSEF is also working in several areas on the funding problems.  Mostly in
trying to get 501c3 status, to be able take in tax deducatable donations.
(starting to get very close now...)

> I'm working on something that I hope might be able to generate some
> revenue that we could use to get Schoolforge people to conferences
> around the world, but it's not ready for public unveiling just yet.
> When it is (in the not too distant future), you'll hear about it
> here first.

We have some mobile computing projects in the works, that hopefuly will be
ready for announcement at Linux World Sanfrancisco (several of the people
that were at LWE NYC will know a bit of what I am talking about).  I will
announce it here ahead of time, when it is ready.

Once this mobile computing hardware project is ready for mass consumption,
we are going to start going to schools to try and sell it and Open Source
in education.  It is fully OSS based, and will permit a turnkey mobile OSS
computer lab solution.  One of my projects while at Linux World will be to
try and secure external funding for this hardware project.

Also another one of our projects (non revenue generating) that is starting
to take off is GOVIA, an open use multimedia archive database.  For more
information on that you will need to contact Justin Zeigler
(jzeigler@osef.org), who is the lead on that project.

		Harry

--
Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder