Re: [school-discuss] Knoppix vs. Freeduc vs. ???

I'd like to say hello to this group. Being my first post I would also like
to introduce myself. Like many of you, I'm a parent - of two very young
daughters, whom are proficient in PC usage beyond their years, but I'm
still not sure that's a good thing. Nevertheless, I'd like to help
their school
out by providing assistance in establishing a PC lab and I feel Linux is
the way to go. I have calculated that 20 donated PC's running Knoppix
would save the school about AU$40,000.00 (new @ retail + Windows). I can
only imagine that you are all here for the same reason - in addition to
any merits the software may have.

Anyway, I do welcome suggestions and I would like assistance in obtaining
the Glue CD and Knoppix for Kids CD since I don't have access to
broadband. Media and postage costs will be covered.

Finally, I would like to make a suggestion. It is somewhat of an uphill
struggle to convince people of the availabilty of alternative oses,
particularly if they have grown accustomed to a particular platform. This
is the difficulty some of you are facing when either attempting to build
or purchase a system with linux pre-installed. Nevertheless, I have found
that people get excited when they see what linux can do for free. So the
word has to get out more and advertising something that's essentially free
doesn't really make economic sense. So my suggestion is to get the
local media
involved. I have struck up an agreement with a local paper to write a
piece about the new lab, the PC's, linux and the school, once the project
is finished. If those of you that biuld linux boxes could offer your
assistance to one worthy cause, it may open the
floodgate you're seeking, without costing a cent in advertising.

But then, i don't make a living in IT. So don't take my word for it.

Regards
Salvatore Gambacorta
Sydney Australia