Re: [school-discuss] Wednesday, July 2 at NECC

> Marilyn Hagle wrote:
> I guess someone pulled my name out of a hat last week because at the last minute I was invited to man one of the stations at the music playground on Wednesday, July 2 at NECC. I am going to demonstrate the Musix Live CD. The music playground is managed by Jason Hubbard, a choral director from Louisiana. He will be demonstrating Rosegarden on Ubuntu.

Marilyn, you might tell Jason to see if he can get a bunch of Ubuntu Studio alternate install DVDs to hand out to folks, it's a version of Ubuntu specifically for audio, graphics, and video production that includes Rosegarden4 as well as tons of other packages. Make sure to tell folks to do all the updates (esp. security) after install first thing before using it. Best, Daniel

http://ubuntustudio.org/

And here's a package list:

Basic infrastructure
    alsa-tools - Console based ALSA utilities for specific hardware
    alsa-tools-gui - GUI based ALSA utilities for specific hardware
    linux-image-rt - Low latency kernel
    qamix - Configurable mixer for ALSA

JACK and JACK Utilities
    jackd - JACK Audio Connection Kit (server and example clients)
    qjackctl - User interface for controlling the JACK sound server
    bitscope - diagnosis tool for JACK audio software
jdelay - A small command line JACK app you can use to measure the latency of your sound card.
    meterbridge - A collection of Audio meters for the JACK audio server
    patchage - modular patch bay for Jack audio and Alsa Midi
    jack-tools - various JACK tools: plumbing, play, udp, ctl, scope, clock

Sound editing and recording
    audacity - Swiss army audio editor
    timemachine - JACK audio recorder for spontaneous and conservatory use

Audio playback
    xmms - Versatile X audio player
    xmms-jackasyn - JACK Output plugin for xmms
    xmms-modplug - ModPlug plugin for XMMS

Digital Audio Workstation software
    ardour - Digital audio workstation (graphical gtk interface)
    beast - music synthesis and composition framework

Synthesizers
    fluidsynth - Real-time MIDI software synthesizer
    bristol - vintage synthesizer emulator
    freebirth - Bass synthesizer/sample player/sequencer similar to Rebirth
    qsynth - fluidsynth MIDI sound synthesiser front-end
    zynaddsubfx - Realtime software synthesizer for Linux
    csound - powerful and versatile sound synthesis software
    swami - SoundFont editor

Sampling
    linuxsampler - software audio sampler
    sooperlooper - Looping Sampler LADSPA plugin

Sequencing
    aconnectgui - graphical ALSA sequencer connection manager
    rosegarden4 - music editor and MIDI/audio sequencer
    hydrogen - Simple drum machine/step sequencer
    seq24 - Real time MIDI sequencer
    jackbeat - audio sequencer
    muse - Qt-based midi/audio sequencer
    tk707 - drum sequencer for a sound card or MIDI device
    shaketracker - MIDI sequencer with tracker GUI

Effects and signal processing
    jack-rack - LADSPA effects "rack" for JACK
    tapiir - A tool for real time audio delay and feedback effects
    freqtweak - Realtime audio frequency spectral manipulation
    jamin - Audio mastering from a mixed down multitrack source with JACK
    creox - real-time guitar effects
    jackeq - routes and manipulates audio from/to multiple sources

DJ tools
    terminatorx - A realtime audio synthesizer
    mixxx - A digital DJ interface (for beat-mixing)

MIDI Utilities
    timidity - Software sound renderer (MIDI sequencer, MOD player)
    vkeybd - Virtual Keyboard program

Musical typesetting
    denemo - A gtk+ frontend to GNU Lilypond
    lilypond-data - LilyPond music typesetter (data files)
    lilypond - A program for typesetting sheet music

Miscellaneous / uncategorized
    gtick - Metronome application
    puredata - realtime computer music and graphics system
    audatious -

A plug-ins package.
Package list:
    aeolus - Aeolus is a synthesized (i.e. not sampled) pipe organ emulator
    blop - Bandlimited wavetable-based oscillator plugins for LADSPA hosts.
    caps - A collection of refined LADSPA plugins.
cmt - (Computer Music Toolkit) A collection of LADSPA compatible plugins.
    fil-plugins - Parametric equalizer LADSPA plugin.
    hexter - Yamaha DX7 modeling DSSI plugin
    ladspa-sdk - Sample tools for linux-audio-dev plugin architecture.
    mcp-plugins - LADSPA plugins designed for Alsa Modular Synth.
    omins - Collection of LADSPA plugins geared at modular synthesizers.
    swh-plugins - Steve Harris's LADSPA plugins.
    tap-plugins - Tom's Audio Processing LADSPA plugins.
    vcf - Audio EQ biquad filter LADSPA plugins.
    dssi-example-plugins - Example DSSI plugins.
    dssi-host-jack - An example DSSI host.
    fluidsynth-dssi - Soundfont player/synth for DSSI.
    xsynth-dssi - A classic-analog style softsynth DSSI plugin.
dssi-utils - Command-line utilities for sending commands to DSSI plugins.

--
Daniel Howard
President and CEO