Re: [school-discuss] Wednesday, July 2 at NECC

I saw a demo of it recently at our Atlanta LUG (www.ale.org), and it was quite impressive. One of the presenters was Bjorn Roche, the inventor of XO Wave, a signal processing add-on for Ubuntu Studio:

http://www.xowave.com/downloads.shtml

Best, Daniel

Marilyn Hagle wrote:
Thanks Daniel!  I will definitely forward this to Jason.  He is an open source
newbie, but very enthusiastic!

I have not played with the new Ubuntu Studio, but I installed it on all of the
computers in my lab at the end of the school year.  We used the fiesty version
last year and it seems like this latest flavor has great updates.
I am happy to hear that you are endorsing it.

marilyn

Quoting Daniel Howard <dhhoward@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

 > Marilyn Hagle wrote:
> I guess someone pulled my name out of a hat last week because at the last minute I was invited to man one of the stations at the music playground on Wednesday, July 2 at NECC. I am going to demonstrate the Musix Live CD. The music playground is managed by Jason Hubbard, a choral director from Louisiana. He will be demonstrating Rosegarden on Ubuntu.

Marilyn, you might tell Jason to see if he can get a bunch of Ubuntu Studio alternate install DVDs to hand out to folks, it's a version of Ubuntu specifically for audio, graphics, and video production that includes Rosegarden4 as well as tons of other packages. Make sure to tell folks to do all the updates (esp. security) after install first thing before using it. Best, Daniel

http://ubuntustudio.org/

And here's a package list:

Basic infrastructure
     alsa-tools - Console based ALSA utilities for specific hardware
     alsa-tools-gui - GUI based ALSA utilities for specific hardware
     linux-image-rt - Low latency kernel
     qamix - Configurable mixer for ALSA

JACK and JACK Utilities
     jackd - JACK Audio Connection Kit (server and example clients)
     qjackctl - User interface for controlling the JACK sound server
     bitscope - diagnosis tool for JACK audio software
jdelay - A small command line JACK app you can use to measure the latency of your sound card.
     meterbridge - A collection of Audio meters for the JACK audio server
     patchage - modular patch bay for Jack audio and Alsa Midi
     jack-tools - various JACK tools: plumbing, play, udp, ctl, scope, clock

Sound editing and recording
     audacity - Swiss army audio editor
     timemachine - JACK audio recorder for spontaneous and conservatory use

Audio playback
     xmms - Versatile X audio player
     xmms-jackasyn - JACK Output plugin for xmms
     xmms-modplug - ModPlug plugin for XMMS

Digital Audio Workstation software
     ardour - Digital audio workstation (graphical gtk interface)
     beast - music synthesis and composition framework

Synthesizers
     fluidsynth - Real-time MIDI software synthesizer
     bristol - vintage synthesizer emulator
     freebirth - Bass synthesizer/sample player/sequencer similar to Rebirth
     qsynth - fluidsynth MIDI sound synthesiser front-end
     zynaddsubfx - Realtime software synthesizer for Linux
     csound - powerful and versatile sound synthesis software
     swami - SoundFont editor

Sampling
     linuxsampler - software audio sampler
     sooperlooper - Looping Sampler LADSPA plugin

Sequencing
     aconnectgui - graphical ALSA sequencer connection manager
     rosegarden4 - music editor and MIDI/audio sequencer
     hydrogen - Simple drum machine/step sequencer
     seq24 - Real time MIDI sequencer
     jackbeat - audio sequencer
     muse - Qt-based midi/audio sequencer
     tk707 - drum sequencer for a sound card or MIDI device
     shaketracker - MIDI sequencer with tracker GUI

Effects and signal processing
     jack-rack - LADSPA effects "rack" for JACK
     tapiir - A tool for real time audio delay and feedback effects
     freqtweak - Realtime audio frequency spectral manipulation
     jamin - Audio mastering from a mixed down multitrack source with JACK
     creox - real-time guitar effects
     jackeq - routes and manipulates audio from/to multiple sources

DJ tools
     terminatorx - A realtime audio synthesizer
     mixxx - A digital DJ interface (for beat-mixing)

MIDI Utilities
     timidity - Software sound renderer (MIDI sequencer, MOD player)
     vkeybd - Virtual Keyboard program

Musical typesetting
     denemo - A gtk+ frontend to GNU Lilypond
     lilypond-data - LilyPond music typesetter (data files)
     lilypond - A program for typesetting sheet music

Miscellaneous / uncategorized
     gtick - Metronome application
     puredata - realtime computer music and graphics system
     audatious -

A plug-ins package.
Package list:
     aeolus - Aeolus is a synthesized (i.e. not sampled) pipe organ emulator
     blop - Bandlimited wavetable-based oscillator plugins for LADSPA hosts.
     caps - A collection of refined LADSPA plugins.
cmt - (Computer Music Toolkit) A collection of LADSPA compatible plugins.
     fil-plugins - Parametric equalizer LADSPA plugin.
     hexter - Yamaha DX7 modeling DSSI plugin
     ladspa-sdk - Sample tools for linux-audio-dev plugin architecture.
     mcp-plugins - LADSPA plugins designed for Alsa Modular Synth.
     omins - Collection of LADSPA plugins geared at modular synthesizers.
     swh-plugins - Steve Harris's LADSPA plugins.
     tap-plugins - Tom's Audio Processing LADSPA plugins.
     vcf - Audio EQ biquad filter LADSPA plugins.
     dssi-example-plugins - Example DSSI plugins.
     dssi-host-jack - An example DSSI host.
     fluidsynth-dssi - Soundfont player/synth for DSSI.
     xsynth-dssi - A classic-analog style softsynth DSSI plugin.
dssi-utils - Command-line utilities for sending commands to DSSI plugins.

--
Daniel Howard
President and CEO

:)