[school-discuss] NEA & Tech-Art?

The National Endowment for the Arts places digital art under the broader
heading of "Media Art." On the web page in which this is discussed . . .

http://www.arts.gov/grants/apply/GAP13/MediaAW.html

. . . it is stated that the NEA "strongly encourages innovation." Furthermore:

"Innovative projects are characterized as those that:

* Are likely to prove transformative with the potential for meaningful change,
whether in the development or enhancement of new or existing
art forms,
new approaches to the creation or presentation of art, or
new ways of
engaging the public with art;
* Are distinctive, offering fresh insights and new value for their fields and/or
the public through unconventional solutions; and

* Have the potential to be shared and/or emulated, or are likely to lead to
other innovations."

The NEA includes the following as candidates for potential funding:

"Experimental, animated, transmedia, or interactive work; performance
programs; arts-related segments for use within an existing series;
multi-part webisodes; installations; and video games. Productions must
demonstrate the creative use of media, fulfilling, and when possible,
extending their artistic possibilities....

"Regional, national, or international distribution of media as art or
about the arts, including the development of web portals, hubs, mobile
apps, or other innovative uses of technology or new models to provide
audiences with access to media art works and artists.....

"Projects that extend the arts to underserved populations--those whose
opportunities to experience the arts are limited by geography,
ethnicity,
economics, or disability."

The NEA rarely gives grants to individuals, so I would have to be
participating in connection with an eligible organization if my own
artistic activities were to be involved. Of course, projects worth doing
should go far beyond any one artist, including me.

I don't expect to meet any deadlines before 2013, but let the brainstorming
begin now. I look forward to seeing your ideas.

Joel

###