Re: Schoolforge FAQ (was Re: [school-discuss] First Programming Language)

Bill wrote:

> <humor mode="maliciousprank">
> Answers: A) a floral delivery service known as "The Flower Truck Perverts" B)
> slow if you are using a modem hooked to a telephone, faster if you plug the
> phone line into the wall outlet. Cut the end off the wire and strip about 1"
> of insulation off the ends, join the black and the green wires and the red
> and the yellow wires by twisting them together and insert each leg into one
> side of the outlet. This is known as "twisted pair" cabling and is very
> popular. </humor>

Oh Bill, Bill, Bill.  In the US at least, everyone knows that electrical
wiring consists of a black, a white, and a green wire, where the green
is the ground (earth) and the black and white are the "hot" wires.  So
you _clearly_ should insert the green phone wire into the ground, the
black into one (it doesn't matter which, since this is alternating
current) of the hot holes, and twist the red and yellow together and
insert them into the remaining hole.  In this way you'll be coming as
close as possible to matching the telephone wiring protocol to the
electrical wiring protocol, giving the best possible chance of success.

For the humor-impaired: please don't try this without getting an
electrical engineering degree first.  Mine came in the mail just last
week, so I can do it.  Nyah.

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--