Re: [school-discuss] Samba - Taking the Plunge

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 2:22 am, Kyle Hutson wrote:
> I've talked our school administration into trying Linux w/ Samba to
> replace our Netware Network. Any particular management tips or
> gotchas? Even a good website to get started would be helpful.
>
> Thanks!

One option you might want to have a look at is the Mitel SME product
(http://www.e-smith.org and http://www.e-smith.com, although the .org site
will be down for few days while being moved to a new server).  The system is
GPL'ed and can be downloaded and used for free.  But for a relatively small
amount of money you can get a supported version and some additional features
(such as virus checking of email).  Even for the supported version there are
no user licence charges.

Its main functions are file-serving, mail-serving, web-serving and acting as
an internet gateway and firewall (if required).  It will server files to both
Windows and Mac happily.  Almost all of the installation configuration and
all of the day-to-day administration can be done via an easy to use web
interface that makes setting up and administering an NT server look very
difficult.  A full server install takes about 30 minutes including
configuration, although for a school setting you may need to search around
for the script that loads many users straight from a text file.

Its ease of use come at the price of loss of flexibility, and it will depend
greatly on exacly what you want to do as to whether you would be better
served by a standard distribution or not.  However, the Mitel SME server is a
'turnkey' product that is worth having a look at.  And at only 275MB for the
full iso, it probably won't blow your bandwidth budget to do so.

Rasjid.

PS.  No, I don't work for Mitel, but I am a happy user of their system.  :-)