RE: [school-discuss] Samba - Taking the Plunge

Hi Kyle,

We've been using Samba at our high school/middle school for three
years.
The server is configured as a PDC for W95/98 clients.  For two
years, we've
also run Samba at both our elementary schools.  At the hs/ms, each
student
receives 20MB of space on the server.  For students enrolled in
specific
classes, we bump up the disk space quota.  Typical student use is to
save WP
docs, spreadsheets and Powerpoint presentations.  Teachers and
administrators get a 50MB space quota which we will bump up for
individual
teachers.  We also use the server to image certain CD's for which we
have a
LAN license.  The server is a PII 350Mhz PC with 128M of memory.  It

supports a total population of about 400 users.  Our LAN has about
140 PC's
installed running W95/98.  We have no experience supporting NT,
2000, or XP
clients.

We do not allow students to change their passwords.  The client PC's
are
pretty well locked down using the FoolProof product and control
panel cannot
be accessed.  I do a batch enrollment of the new class at the start
of the
year.  The librarian handles password changes as well as student
add/deletes
during the school year.

We are currently using RH72 with updates and Samba 2.2.3a (RPM
downloaded
from www.samba.org). We use linuxconf (RPM downloaded from
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf/) to do most of the
administration of
the server.  It especially simplifies hard drive space quotas.  I am

planning to look at webmin over the summer as an alternative to
linuxconf.

We also have a separate squid server installed as a proxy server to
the
internet.  We've installed the smb authentication interface which
accesses
the student server.

This year, in one of the elementary schools, we assigned the 4th and
5th
grade students their own id's (although all have the identical
password) so
they can save onto their own server space.  In the other elementary
school
which houses grades K-3, a single id is used (primarily in the PC
lab) for
all students.  In both elementary schools, the teachers and
administrators
have their own id's and server space.

Mark Orenstein
East Granby, CT School System