Re: [school-discuss] Educationware Re: [novalug] Running kids educ software on LINUX (fwd)

At 02:59 PM 03/04/2003, Karl wrote:
Also, --regarding a good comment below-- I believe FreeDOS requires
installation of a proprietary DOS kernel to work, IIRC. If you're running
proprietary-ware you've left liberty behind and left the Free Software
Zone altogether. :)
FreeDOS is released under GPL and is verified on the FSF web site:
http://www.gnu.org/directory/freedos.html
so I would not of thought that it had a proprietary kernel.

While Computer Angels' focus is Debian Linux, we were hoping to utilise the low end hardware that we receive using FreeDOS. The tricky bit is finding useful OSS/Free applications to provide a GUI, wordprocessing, and perhaps email.

All the best
Jacqueline McNally
http://www.decisions-and-designs.com.au/jacqueline

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)