Re: [school-discuss] Contest in GCompris board creation

Quoting Doug Loss <drloss@suscom.net>:

> Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
>
> > Finaly it looks like the EPI games in one hand and the contest idea in
> > the other one could be linked, and the EPI game could be an excuse to
> > set up a contest where  the participant will have to port one EPI board
> > to GCompris, then the best ones would be rewarded.

I think this is a good idea.

> > Also it will be very cool to organize the event under the School Forge
> > umbrella (so this mail in this list), just another occasion to work
> > together and to strengthen our actions in the promotion of Free Software
> > in Education. Probably the contest idea could be extend in other domain
> > with the ressources of the participating members org. of SF.

I'm not sure how to do this, but it is obviously the way forward.

> I think this sounds like a very good idea!  Of course, all the EPI games
> are in French (as you would expect), and so might be difficult for
> non-French-speakers to understand.  Could someone pick, say, the first
> group of EPI games and describe them to us so we know how they work and
> what their educational rationale is?
Hilaire and Bruno both write great English, and I will help, too, with the EPI
game descriptions. I'll download and see what comes up in the next 24 hours.

> This would be something needed before the contest starts so participants
> have common "targets" to work towards.
>
> How should such a contest be structured?  Would we pick winning
> equivalents for each EPI game, or first, second, and third place winners
> for each game, or something else again?  Would we run contests for all
> the games at the same time, or put up three or four games at a time with
> a call for ports?  What kind of deadline (how much time) should we have
> for each contest?

I suggest those interested download and install and see what answers to the
above we come up with and then write back to the list.

> The success of such contests often depends on how widely publicized they
> are.  Where besides here should we publicize this contest?
>
> I'm sure there are many more questions to be answered, but those are
> ones that occur to me quickly.

Thanks for getting this ball rolling. I think this is a very important addition
to the seul/edu ISO project.

David

--
http://www.iteachnet.org