Re: [school-discuss] Contest in GCompris board creation

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:43:27 -0500
Doug Loss <drloss@suscom.net> wrote:

> Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
>
> > Finaly it looks like the EPI games in one hand and the contest idea in
> > the other one could be linked, and the EPI game could be an excuse to
> > set up a contest where  the participant will have to port one EPI board
> > to GCompris, then the best ones would be rewarded.
> >
> > Also it will be very cool to organize the event under the School Forge
> > umbrella (so this mail in this list), just another occasion to work
> > together and to strengthen our actions in the promotion of Free Software
> > in Education. Probably the contest idea could be extend in other domain
> > with the ressources of the participating members org. of SF.
> >
> I think this sounds like a very good idea!  Of course, all the EPI games
> are in French (as you would expect), and so might be difficult for
> non-French-speakers to understand.  Could someone pick, say, the first
> group of EPI games and describe them to us so we know how they work and
> what their educational rationale is?

Porting that games will be the occasion to internationize them (hum!
very obvious for us). You are right evaluating and setting up an initial
list of the most interesting one will be a good point. I am sure I can
find teacher at work willing to help, some of them were using those
software in the '80 or '90.

> This would be something needed before the contest starts so participants
> have common "targets" to work towards.
>
> How should such a contest be structured?  Would we pick winning
> equivalents for each EPI game, or first, second, and third place winners
> for each game, or something else again?  Would we run contests for all
> the games at the same time, or put up three or four games at a time with
> a call for ports?  What kind of deadline (how much time) should we have
> for each contest?

Interesting questions :)

Depending on our objectives: quality or quantity

To get quality, we could propose some board to be ported (let's say 10),
then the best each board could be rewarded. So this means there will 10
reawrds.

To get quantity, all the relevant boards will be present for the
contest, and the best one could be rewarded

But may be we should think about how much people may join the contest,
if few the contest may have to be organized in accordance with that
estimate

Concerning, the deadline, Bruno is probaby the right person to ask for.
I can give us a fair estimation (well maybe we have to multiply by two
his estimation). Bruno ?

> The success of such contests often depends on how widely publicized they
> are.  Where besides here should we publicize this contest?

I know various place in France where the information could be exposed,
this is no problem to get good coverage. Also associating national org.
will be very helpfull. For example, I am already in contact with French
April  to sponsor the contest.

Hilaire

--
OFSET - http://www.ofset.org