Re: [school-discuss] etc ... and war

Leon Brooks wrote:
On Tuesday 18 March 2003 06:44 pm, Neil Kelly wrote:

I look at my 2 yr old son and hope he never has to go to war. I also
worry about his favourite game which is to wander about the back garden
with a stick in his hand pretending its some sort of weapon and he's
killing the baddies or the bears, or whoever his enemy of choice happens
to be. Where does this come from?

Television (esp. news), friends, toys, schoolmates were he a bit older, who knows?

I agree with you Neil. As to where it comes from, I suspect it's wired into the species. If you give boys and girls sticks to play with, the boys will almost always use them to perform heroic deeds of valor, while the girls will almost always use them as magic wands or something similarly less "violent."

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss Courage is resistance to
Data Network Coordinator fear, mastery of fear --
Bloomsburg University not absence of fear.
dloss@bloomu.edu Mark Twain