Re: [school-discuss] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr

Bill Kendrick wrote:
What's a good, kid-friendly language for today's kids to use (on Linux,
of course!)?
I would try Java, it might be a bit hard to learn for an eight year old, but there is a nice way to learn Java and have fun at the same time...

http://robocode.alphaworks.ibm.com/home/home.html

Not had much time to play about with it, but it looks good.

As other's have noted, LOGO is quite good, but he might be a little to old for that now. I know it was quite boring for me when I was forced to learn it in high school. (although I was coding with higher level programming languages at the time, so maybe I was just being to picky).

I think games like RoboCode is a good teaching aid.

I would also check out Python and Pygame.

Hope that helps.