Re: [school-discuss] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 00:08, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> What's a good, kid-friendly language for today's kids to use (on Linux,
> of course!)?
>
> I've though about picking up some Python and passing my knowledge on to him,
> but of course I'd rather ask the educators and other experts on various
> mailing lists for suggestions, since many of you have already dealt with
> this problem before.

Definitely teach him Python

When I was five, I learnt BASIC by trial & error; I wish I had better
resources, and even a more powerful language at my disposal. I tried a
bit of Fortran, but didn't get far :P

In school when I was about seven or eight, I learnt logo (turtle
graphics!), which didn't interest me too much since I already knew how
to program. Pascal came not too long after, C a while later, and the
rest is history
--
Colin Charles, byte@aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/