Re: [school-discuss] FLOSS PCs

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 12:35 +0100, Damiano Verzulli wrote:
> Joel Kahn ha scritto:
> > [...]
> > While we are still on the subject of low-cost
> > FLOSS-related computers, does anyone have any
> > experience with the Eee PC from Asus?
> >
> > http://eeepc.asus.com/us/product.htm
>
> I've one of them just in front of me :-)
>
> I've simply dropped the original OS, in favour of a (mostly) standard
> XUbuntu distribution.
> 	http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:development
>
> At the moment I'm using it in a very standard way, with no apparent
> problems: wired + wireless net connection run without problems.
>
> Actually, as I'm involved in the network-operation-department of a local
> university, I'm used to bring a notebook, with me, when I move around
> the campus to check&troubleshoot network problems.
> So my laptop is plenty of network tools (tcpdump, iptraf, etc.),
> browser, ssh client/server, etc. etc. ...everything absolutly "normal"
> for a standard Linux distribution.... eeeXubuntu included :-)
>
> Actually, eee is _REALLY_ light... much more light than my "ordinary"
> nootebook and it's a pleasure to have it in hand, instead of a big,
> heavy, standard notebook (with case, power adapter, etc.).
>
> I still have to check the webcam... but this is not an issue, for me.
>
> I've added 512MB of RAM (so it has 1GB, currently), and also an
> additional 4GB SD-card, just to have e bit more space.
>
> The only (very little) downside is... the screen. It is a 800x480 and...
> although very confortable for "emergency activities" (like mine), is a
> little too-little for "ordinary activities" (like reading/writing e-mail
> with thunderbird, for example).
>
> Having said that, I can say that I'm _really_really_ satisfied.
>
> Bye,
> Damiano

Both my daughter (12) and I have one. They are brilliant for their
intended design. Very lightweight. I just chuck it into a bag to take on
trips or in the car. It's a great demonstration of the power and
versatility of FOSS. Most people who see it think it cost 3-4 times as
much as it actually did. With the video out, I can hook it up to a
bigger monitor if I need to.

wf