Re: [school-discuss] SEUL/edu ISO software evals

Jeff wrote:

> 5/10/02 12:59:26 PM, Doug Loss <drloss@suscom.net> wrote:

>>Matt, Daniel, and Jeff, could one of you publicly volunteer (so the
>>others know about it) to look at "Administrative"
>><http://richtech.ca/cgi-bin/seul/seulvw.pl?category=Administrative>
>>

> I can sort these out into some general categories -  w.g., classroom, student scheduling,
> student records, building management...

Great!  That's very helpful.

> It would be nice to have some guidelines as to what the evaluation should
> include.  Some suggestions might be:
>
> APPEARANCE - is the interface inviting and self explanatory
>
> PURPOSE - Does  the program sereve a legitimate need in the school
> where you work?
>
> UNIVERSALITY -  Can the data files generated be accessed by other programs?
> Are there variable methods of output. Are there ways to input large amounts of
> data from other sources. (not necessarily directly)
>
> SPEED - Does this program actually save time, effort and serve a need?
>
> ACCESSIBILITY - Are the parts of the program easy to use by the intended
> audiences?
>
> POSSIBLE CHANGES -
>
> Also - how do we/where do we sent results?

The initial eval is concerned with one thing only: your PURPOSE.  If
the program doesn't have a useful place in the schools we should set
it aside for this ISO.  As I've said elsewhere, if you're not sure,
keep it in; it will get looked at in detail in the next phase.

The rest of your criteria will be useful for the next phase.  Perhaps
not for keeping a program from being included in the ISO, but for the
ratings I mentioned in a reply to Dirk Shouten on the seul-edu mailing
list.

I'd like everyone helping with this to subscribe to the seul-edu
mailing list, since that's where the discussion and work on this will
be done.  You can do so from the main SEUL/edu webpage
<http://www.seul.org/edu/>.  For this first phase we will assume
everything will be included, so if you can send a message with the
category you're evaluating, the apps from that category you think
should be dropped, and the reason for your thinking so, that would be
best I think.

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--