Re: [school-discuss] SEUL/edu ISO software evals

El Sáb 11 May 2002 18:20, escribió:
> 5/10/02 12:59:26 PM, Doug Loss <drloss@suscom.net> wrote:
> >Jeff LeMieux (I'm not sure if Jeff's a teacher or not).
>
> ---I am.  (middle school math)
>
> >Matt, Daniel, and Jeff, could one of you publicly volunteer (so the
> >others know about it) to look at "Administrative"
> ><http://richtech.ca/cgi-bin/seul/seulvw.pl?category=Administrative>
>
> I can sort these out into some general categories -  w.g., classroom,
> student scheduling, student records, building management...
>
> It would be nice to have some guidelines as to what the evaluation should
> include.  Some suggestions might be:
>
> APPEARANCE - is the interface inviting and self explanatory
>
> PURPOSE - Does  the program sereve a legitimate need in the school
> where you work?
>
> UNIVERSALITY -  Can the data files generated be accessed by other programs?
> Are there variable methods of output. Are there ways to input large amounts
> of data from other sources. (not necessarily directly)
>
> SPEED - Does this program actually save time, effort and serve a need?
>
> ACCESSIBILITY - Are the parts of the program easy to use by the intended
> audiences?
>
> POSSIBLE CHANGES -
>
> Also - how do we/where do we sent results

you forget a very important one :

PORTABILITY : It's a program that may be run under other platforms (not only
Linux, bu BSD, Mac... )

EASY TO BUILD: Some tools are not compiled or require a large set of
libraries, the process of compilation or getting the right libraries may not
be trivial.  Others are based in quasi-standard "Linux-app-platforms" like
TCL, python-tk, perl-tk. And while it seems that C is the most portable
thingy, the truth is that some C programs require the hell of libraries ,
thus is hard to make it run, and on the contrary, a TCL/TK or a python-tk
tend to run out-of-the-box in any Linux box and in many *nices boxes .

QUALITY OF DOC: Some programs have README's that even don't explain what's
the program about !

---
MGA