[school-discuss] Re: Passwords for kids?

on Sun, May 16, 2004 at 08:42:34AM +0200, Hilaire Fernandes (hilaire@ext.cri74.org) wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2004 18:09:15 -0700
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>

> > I'm working in a youth center with a ten-system computer lab, 80+ kids
> > using it so far, Samba domain.

> > _Most_ of them can deal with passwords.  A few can't spell their own
> > names (and most of 'em could use better typing skillz -- not to mention
> > a far more discriminating taste in music....).
> >
> > But for a fair number of 'em, particulary the younger set, and a few
> > others with learning disabilities, remembering passwords seems to be
> > beyond the possible.  Anyone have experience with setting up accounts
> > for kids?
> >
> > Primary login is WinXP.  Even here, the three-field login (username,
> > pass, logon target (workstation/domain) is confusing.

> What about a picture login, from where kids could choose to logon by
> clikcing on their picture. I know GDM and KDM can do that, may be XP
> as well.

Not, AFAICT, when using domain logon.

For workstation logon, yes.

> However it may be just unusable with pictures of 80 kids.

Not particularly.  Other than the initial data uptake.  Got the cameras
;-)

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
    The major problem facing [Orkut, Friendster, and ilk] is that they scarf