[school-discuss] Re: SV: Passwords for kids?

on Sun, May 16, 2004 at 08:45:31AM +0200, Rune Garmann (runemann@c2i.net) wrote:

> On 16. mai 2004 Karsten M. Self wrote:

> > I'm working in a youth center with a ten-system computer lab, 80+ kids
> > using it so far, Samba domain.

> > _Most_ of them can deal with passwords.  A few can't spell their own
> > names (and most of 'em could use better typing skillz -- not to mention
> > a far more discriminating taste in music....).
> >
> > But for a fair number of 'em, particulary the younger set, and a few
> > others with learning disabilities, remembering passwords seems to be
> > beyond the possible.  Anyone have experience with setting up accounts
> > for kids?
> >
> > Primary login is WinXP.  Even here, the three-field login (username,
> > pass, logon target (workstation/domain) is confusing.

> Karsten,
>
> a password must be easy to remember, but difficult to guess.

I've picked a "three favorites" strategy, one of which is a number.

Some of the kids apparently change their favorites frequently.  The ones
with problems would likely not be able to remember other stuff either.

> I have taught the kids in my school two strategies they can use, if
> they want to. The first is to combine two words that normally are not
> combined, like "apple+fish=applefish". Many of the kids have made
> quite amusing passwords in that way. The second is to take the first
> letter in the first words of a song they like and combine them into a
> word, like "Old Mac Donald Had A Farm=OMDHAF".

> One of the kids, who had some difficulties with spelling, used a part
> of the text on a sign in his classroom as password. That functioned
> nicely ;-)

That's pretty close to where I'm at.  The major problems are maybe a
handful of kids out of the 100+ (counted, yup) signed up already.

Peace.

    Free Software Primer -- concepts you need to understand
    http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/FreeSoftwarePrimer