Re: [school-discuss] Re: [IIEP] Retraining initiative

Tom Adelstein wrote:

I'm hearing numbers like 2.5 million tech jobs lost permanently. More

jobs lost in IT than all jobs created since 2000. A large percentage of
those jobs have 3-5 years of moss. They are not counted in the
"official" unemployment statistics. We can also talk about manufacturing
jobs lost and so on.

We have a big pool of IT talent unemployed and we see headlines that
students do not want to go into tech careers in college. So, we need
"retraining" or "skill enhancement" or something.

I'm just throwing an idea around. What's wrong with curriculum that will
focus on the hot IT topics to help people find jobs now and then
curriculum growing as the landscape changes?

I would say things are forever in such a state of "explosion" that
that it's unlikely curricula will be able to keep pace. University
CS depts are typically somewhat behind, imho of course. Not to be
overly pessimistic, but in the words of Sponge Bob:
"Good luck with that".

I don't see open source technology solving this problem but I'm willing
to listen. IMHO, this shift in employment trends transcends the open vs
proprietary argument.

There's IT, and everything else, and (imho always) training
people in IT is probably not doing them any favor, as the very
goal of most hardware and software is to make it simple enough
that it doesn't require so many technicians. The trend you are
refering to is the end of the natural lifecycle of the "computers
for computers' sake" era.  Open source gives students opportunities
that proprietary doesn't -- but I don't think the "IT" opportunities
are the most valuable.  Rather, the opportunity to develop
software to solve problems in any field is a more valuable opportunity.
-CC