Re: [school-discuss] Re: Re: [IIEP] Retraining initiative

Hi All,

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Karsten M. Self wrote:

I realized in the early/mid 1990s which way things were headed, and
decided to hitch myself to technologies which _weren't_ tied to one
specific company's fortunes.  From a "keeping current with skills and
minimizing lossage / turnover" it's been a pretty good strategy.  Rarely
the top paying gigs, but generally speaking, marketable skills.

I just got tired of the 'moving target'. I'd buy a compiler or some software, learn it a bit, and then out would come the next version or something with new changes, etc. Learning the windows API, etc. was just a joke. There was no learning with any kind of 'shelf life'.

The unix/linux, etc. culture isn't like that. Skills continue. Knowledge has a much longer shelf life. Plus it's a much richer culture. That's what impressed me in the mid 90's with Linux/Unix/GNU and it's associated culture, tools, etc.

These ideas, practices, viewpoints have enduring value, IMO.

We have a big pool of IT talent unemployed and we see headlines that
students do not want to go into tech careers in college. So, we need
"retraining" or "skill enhancement" or something.

IT Talent are just the new tradesmen. By having lots of tradesmen around, you can ensure that prices for labour costs are kept low. Same thing with all the contract work. Hire a 'unit of labour'.

If you want a real job, avoid the trades. (My son is apprenticing as an electrician).

Les Richardson