Re: [school-discuss] Which is the fastest Desktop distro forschools?

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 20:00, Arjun Asthana wrote:
> > > Use EXT2 instead of EXT3, you lose journaling but gain a lot of
> > > speed.
> >
> > And a lot of wasted time in case of abrupt power.
>
> Correct. ReiserFS seems a better and faster choice. But, I really need the
> undelete option not there in ReiserFS (Hans Rieser (IIRC, he is the creator
> of reiserfs) says undelete is impossible in RieserFS). Is there any
> journaling FS that supports undelete also?

I've been able to undelete from ReiserFS; I immediately unmounted the
filesystem and then did "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree <device>".  It seemed
to work, but it certainly isn't a very convenient option.  And it won't
work if the blocks that contained the deleted file have been overwritten
by another file (which is why I unmounted the filesystem immediately!).

Actually, this just retrieves all of the files in the filesystem that
have been deleted but not yet overwritten, but it works if you've
accidentally deleted something really important, such as your /home
directory, and you don't wait too long before you try to recover it.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln@sbcglobal.net>

I think my career is ruined!