[school-discuss] Squid? for caching pages to maximize bandwidth?

We have several idle Pentium III machines.  We are free to use them.  In our department, we are thinking of clustering them to provide a server to allow student machines to access web pages on these machines.

We are thinking of using a clustered squid cache.  I don't know much.  Is this a useful and valid use of squid?  The cluster would serve as an access point, and students who have similar projects would probably access the same pages.  Also, we are thinking of the many times when the school network is down or badly lagging.

Can I request some ideas on this?

Alan Davis
Kagman High School
Saipan, N. Mariana Islands