Re: [school-discuss] Feedback from Georgia Educational Technology Conference and a thought

Hey Daniel, sounds like you had a good showing at your conference. Good
for you.

> If a brand new school/district came to us and asked
> for a complete, turnkey Open Source solution (assuming we got them a
> Linux consultant to integrate everything), what would we recommend?

K, right off the top of my head I would suggest that we start by breaking
things down to catagoriys.

So to start and please add in as I am sure I will miss somethings:

1:  Infrastructure
   a: Back office app servers
   b: Network support services (DHCP, Wins, DNS)
   c: Routers and or traffic controls
   d: system monitoring and reporting

2: Security systems
   a: Intrustion detections systems
   b: VPN and remote access
   c: Inter branch communication and bridging
   d: content filtering and reporting/alerting

3: Administration
   a: Class room management
   b: Student management
   c: Course management

4: Desktop environment
   a: Desktop operating environment
   b: Desktop management and security
   c: Course required programs

Anyways I figured I would get my initial thought on what a brand new
school dev would need. Let get other idea on this list and then we can
start plugging in the software we need. If we don't know of a piece of
software we can at least start to search for it.

Thanks

Rich