Re: [school-discuss] free/open inspiration replacement? (concept mapping)

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 12:39:54PM +0700, David Bucknell wrote:
> I have a colleague who is pushing hard for me to let her train teachers using
> the concept mapping software called "Inspiration." It makes idea trees with
> boxes for leaves in-on which people can write. It's slick. But I don't want to
> back down on free - open only right now. She is not happy with my quick and
> dirty html alternatives or just graphics using GIMP.

I'm not familiar with any free/open software that is similar to
Inspiration. I've used Inspiration (and even taught it), and I think
it's good stuff. I've used xfig to do similar drawings in the past, but
nothing I've seen comes close to the intuitive way that Inspiration
works, the quantity and quality of the included templates, and the
information available about to use the software in the classroom. In
short, the open source world could use software like this.

FYI, a free 30-day demo is available from their Web site
(http://www.inspiration.com/) for win32 and MacOS if anyone would like
to see how it works. Haven't tried it with wine.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com