[school-discuss] Re: Shocking news about Microsoft's ability to kill Open

I'm not really shocked at all.  Having spent nearly a decade within the
higher education industry as teacher and student, I've seen a lot of
private-university partnerships.  It's common practice and is
encouraged.  Private-university partnerships should be encouraged in my
view.  Does it make a university look bad to take "bribe money" to host
particular kinds of workshops or programs?  Sure it does!

But there's also a lot of value in having a company support a university
- especialy if you believe that universities provide the work force for
successfull companies, which in turn give back to the educational system.

The University of Washington is a great example.  Boeing sponsored the
Aeronautical Enginneering program in various ways, and helped build a
wind tunnel.  The business students study in Balmer Hall (as in Steve
Balmer).  The brand new computer science and engineering building is
called the Mary Gates Hall.  Biomedical technology and research is well
funded at the University of Washington and in the local businesses.
It's an area of interest for both Gates and Paul Allen - although I
don't know how much money is directed that way.

If you look at the universities as the engine that kicks out the work
force for businesses it makes sense and provides a valuable lesson.
When open source applications and services mature enough to "rake in the
dough" like the IBMs and Microsofts of the world, the companies
providing services will have the ability to work as closely with
universities as any company.  Right now it's just Microsoft's turn.

We may have a Torvalds computer science hall built somewhere someday . . .

Richard Schilling