Re: [school-discuss] WinOSSCDRom V1.3

Hi Richard,

We've just moved into a new house, so I've got to go find & unbox the DVDs. I'm going to do a recursive directory listing & try to document each item.

Actually this is part of a backburnered project that I'm looking at reviving, incl. writing how-to manuals for schools, etc. I'm interested in turning this into a working business, esp. w/ small schools w/ no IT staff & minimal/broken network infrastructure.

I'm currently working on a small school's network. I'm building a pilot machine this week dual-booting Linux & Win2K, might bring in stuff like Studio To Go ( http://www.ferventsoftware.com ) as well... The plan is to also do a partial implementation of Karoshi so that the student user profiles ( erm, home directories) will be available on Linux, Mac & Windows.

Whether it be OSS, abandonware, freeware, functional trialware or reasonably priced payware, a consultant who has this trove handy can help a school with their budgets, keep them legal (in terms of licenses), deliver software that is "good enough" for education use, and help them phase in OSS on the student desktop. The students get inculcated in the value of free stuff that *is* good enough and teach them that they don't have to resort to using warez or sucking up to Bill Gates.... (even if they buy a Walmart box w/ WinXP on it....).

I'd like to develop a free & inexpensive software listing/clearing house that actually gets noticed, but somehow setting up my blog to get noticed has so far escaped me. I know I must be doing something wrong, but have been too busy to do anything about it. I'd like to team with someone on this project, so if anyone on this list is interested, or know someone who would be interested, please contact me.

An exhaustive enumeration of the desktop software I've found & used successfully, FWIW, I believe would easily 500 or more different individual software elements, and being desktop-oriented doesn't include obvious big server-side stuff like Samba, LAMP, etc. I'll try to get a more-thorough listing your way soon... it might look suspiciously like a huge dir / ls listing, but I'll try to cover what I know of each title, esp. the software's licensing - freeware, shareware, trialware,  abandonware & OSS. You won't find me listing crippleware or timed trialware unless it's pay version is economical, so AVG antivirus' edu license is pricey & doesn't make the list, but F-Prot does.

Best regards,

/Lee

Richard Houston <rhouston@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nice collection. I would be interested in the full collection list if you
have it kicking around.

+------------------------------------+
Best regards,
-Richard Houston
-R.L.H. Consulting
-E-Mail rhouston@xxxxxxxx
-WWW http://www.rlhc.net
-Blog http://www.rlhc.net/blog/

> Richard,
>

> This is great!
>

> I've a collection of non-OSS & OSS free Windows software that I use in
> school setting.... What's out there that is both useful and good is
> amazing... my collection is pushing 4 GB.
>
> For a first list (not complete) see also....
>

> See also: http://digitalteacher.blogspot.com/
>

> Richard Houston wrote: Hi all,
>

> Just a quick note that I have completed Version 1.3 of the WinOSSCDRom.
> The disk is now over 690 Megs of Open Source software for Windows. I
> actually had to remove the advanced/databases to make room.
>
> The big changes? Added Edutainment section which includes Tuxpaint,
> Tuxtyping and many more. I also added a games section. The only game in
> there is Fightgear but hey I am running out of space. ;)
>
> Any ways you can get more info at http://www.rlhc.net/blog/?page_id=71
> which include a change log, the torrent file and a complete list of
> programs included.
>
> If anyone has any idea of how to spread awareness of the CD please let
> me know and feel free to post to dig, Lxer and other if you wish.
>
> Thanks and let me know if you have any ideas, suggestions and or
> comments.
>

> +------------------------------------+
> Best regards,
> -Richard Houston