Re: [school-discuss] Linux Kiosk

Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> My wife volunteers at a Kirkbymoorside playschool/playgroup North
> Yorkshire England.
> She is the only one that uses the computer there.
> Caroline my wife knows how to work windows desktop get some of the
> software running but says it too slow to run.  Having not seen it my
> guess that programs been un/installed over the years also stuff ON
> there that's  not needed running in background.
> They don't have an internet connection and they don't need to.
>
> It got me thinking about building a Linux kiosk
> .
> The kiosk must have the following
> Educational games for 2 to 5 year olds
> Lock everything down Icons on desk top stay where they are or if they
> get deleted or moved  when computer reboots its to go back to same
> original settings.
> When booting up I don't want it to check hardware or internet
> connections just boot straight to desktop WITH no user name or password to
> be entered.
> Able to play flash games my wife buys educational flash games off Ebay
> and they run off a disk
>
> No training at all !!
>

> I would like some ideas to what I could do.
> This link looks interesting http://gcompris.net/-About-GCompris
>
> Any ideas and pointers?
>
> Fintan

I set up a "kiosk" for our daughters day care center (4-5 year olds)
using Ubuntu, Edubuntu would probably work just as well.  I simply put
Gcompris, TuxPaint, and KLetters on the desktop and removed all menu bar
items except the logout button, and reduced the context menu content.
The kids like it, and the teachers needed minimal exposure to work it
into their curriculum.  Gcompris is just excellent.

- cameron