[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
[school-discuss] Linux Kiosk
- To: schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [school-discuss] Linux Kiosk
- From: "Fintan Gaughan" <fgaughan@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:27:20 +0100
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 06:27:45 -0400
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition; b=HjATqjhrXZUYpoSyY2Se3nNq+9ApREjVGVu+1QhuVW4jjAhG6mqPuaLvTKMM4n038p9RxWNb3Z55/uC8UvsCNYNjGuRe+/D3nj41YUHKbV7XO/2yHD4eXblLuqtMsCP3DRvj4336DMsqZW/XOuQ0TUDSULDMCIRg6CqcLD5V+R8=
- Reply-to: schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Sender: owner-schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My wife volunteers at a Kirkbymoorside playschool/playgroup North
She is the only one that uses the computer there.
Caroline my wife knows how to work windows desktop get some of the
software running but says it too slow to run. Having not seen it my
guess that programs been un/installed over the years also stuff ON
there that's not needed running in background.
They don't have an internet connection and they don't need to.
It got me thinking about building a Linux kiosk
The kiosk must have the following
Educational games for 2 to 5 year olds
Lock everything down Icons on desk top stay where they are or if they
get deleted or moved when computer reboots its to go back to same
When booting up I don't want it to check hardware or internet
connections just boot straight to desktop WITH no user name or password to
Able to play flash games my wife buys educational flash games off Ebay
and they run off a disk
No training at all !!
I would like some ideas to what I could do.
This link looks interesting http://gcompris.net/-About-GCompris
Any ideas and pointers?
My Blog http://www.finllfixit.co.uk/