Re: [school-discuss] 2006 Mellon Award for Technology Collaboration considerations

Jeff -

I did, and as for the status, no announcements have been made by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.  From the website, I'd think that the announcements will be sometime early December.  (I haven't heard anything.)

As for future opportunities, the MacArthur Foundation has made some very interesting announcements -  "plans to build the emerging field of digital learning, committing $50 million over five years to the effort.  The Foundation will fund research and innovative projects focused on understanding the impact of the widespread use of digital media on our youth and how they learn"

A lot of the research/programs/initiatives they are describing sound like many of the topics and projects that are discussed here. http://www.digitallearning.macfound.org/

I also want to let everyone know that I've recently moved, and I'm still waiting to get the internet connection going.   The information that June helped collect from members has been put together, but still needs to be organized to make sense when it's posted.  Tyson has been helping out a lot while my connection has been down, keeping an eye on the mailing list bounce/spam emails.

When I get settled in and have a net connection going, we will be able to start moving things forward with the information and website.  In the meantime, I've been following the IIEP/Unesco discussions and learning about the history involved there.. need I say more? :-)

The report from the Commission on the Future of Higher Education was another source of food for thought.  All of these things have been presented/commented on in the SchoolForge discussion, which is what has lead me to read these.  Hopefully members will continue to share this information, it's interesting and complex and I think it will provide a great deal to the direction SchoolForge takes.