Re: [school-discuss] Do Something Dot Org

How do I get to the free download of the Free Software for Schools book?

Justin

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Bill Fitzgerald <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello, David,

It seemed (from a quick read through the thread) that people were expressing a desire to create an organized and growing knowledge base that would support advocacy around open source projects, and around the philosophy of open source as it relates to education.

The content of the site could be created/curated within the community, but some of the content (ie, the Issues) would be collected for the benefit of people looking for resources about how to get started in open source.

It seems like there are several parallel things being discussed here:

* specific open source projects
* recommending a specific project for a learning goal
* recommending specific projects for adoption within a school
* recommending a specific project for adoption within a district
* documenting the rationale for schools/districts to make more use of open source solutions
* identifying opportunities (conferences, teacher professional development, etc) where decision makers can be educated about the benefits of open source

These items are all related, but ultimately they are diffuse enough in focus to warrant different language targeted at the different audiences. My suggestion was for a communication hub that could collect information, and then repackage that information for these separate purposes.

I don't know if that makes it clearer, or muddies the waters further :)

Cheers,

Bill