Re: [school-discuss] Do Something Dot Org

Hi, Bill.
Sounds like it could support some of the other ideas.

So, this could be installed in a subdirectory of the site and have an
address like projects.schoolforge.net, right?

Thank you,

David

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 3:48 AM, Bill Fitzgerald <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello, David,
>
> It seemed (from a quick read through the thread) that people were expressing
> a desire to create an organized and growing knowledge base that would
> support advocacy around open source projects, and around the philosophy of
> open source as it relates to education.
>
> The content of the site could be created/curated within the community, but
> some of the content (ie, the Issues) would be collected for the benefit of
> people looking for resources about how to get started in open source.
>
> It seems like there are several parallel things being discussed here:
>
> * specific open source projects
> * recommending a specific project for a learning goal
> * recommending specific projects for adoption within a school
> * recommending a specific project for adoption within a district
> * documenting the rationale for schools/districts to make more use of open
> source solutions
> * identifying opportunities (conferences, teacher professional development,
> etc) where decision makers can be educated about the benefits of open source
>
> These items are all related, but ultimately they are diffuse enough in focus
> to warrant different language targeted at the different audiences. My
> suggestion was for a communication hub that could collect information, and
> then repackage that information for these separate purposes.
>
> I don't know if that makes it clearer, or muddies the waters further :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill
>
> On 10/25/2011 12:23 PM, David Bucknell wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Bill.  Could you say more about your suggestion? Would these
>> "issues" be forwarded to the relevant projects or ... can you explain
>> your idea more?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> David
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Bill Fitzgerald<bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello, all,
>>>
>>> We created an install profile with Drupal that could be of use here. It's
>>> combination news aggregator and publishing platform that can be used to
>>> collect and remix content.
>>>
>>> One of the key features that could be helpful is the ability to create
>>> "Issues" - so, we could create a web tools issue, a desktop tools issue,
>>> server admin tools issue, an "open source meets social learning best
>>> practice" issue, etc.
>>>
>>> Our install profile is, of course, free to acquire, use, install, and
>>> modify, and is built completely from open source components :)
>>>
>>> Documentation and download links available at
>>> http://code.funnymonkey.com/doc/voicebox
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> On 10/25/2011 10:11 AM, Bryant Patten wrote:
>>>
>>> On Oct 25, 2011, at 11:39 AM, LM wrote:
>>>
>>> If Schoolforge members have resources to help advocate Open Source, the
>>> web
>>> site might be a good place to share them.  For instance, sharing slide
> [...]

http://intknowledge.com
For Schools: http://ischoolnet.org
For Teachers: http://flossed.org
For You:
Hosting, Design and Development: http://www.web4you.in.th

New location: (Map: http://ischoolnet.org/map)
NEW Mailing Address: PO Box 90, Suthisan Post Office
International Knowledge Networks, Co., Ltd.
Din Daeng, Bangkok 10321
Thailand
+66(0)84 329 1183 (cell); +66(0)2 693 8144 (Don't dial the zero (0)
outside of Thailand.