Re: [school-discuss] Home school for dyslexic students

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Dirk Schouten <d.schouten@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We are looking for better voices than espeak. Sounds
> horrible IMHO.

I had read that espeak did a pretty good job when you consider how
much less code there is to it compared to an application like
festival.  Would be curious what you thought of flite (festival lite).

Here are some other links I turned up that might be useful:

This one's asking for volunteers, so possibly something we might want
to add to the wiki list of projects in need of volunteers:
http://linux-speakup.org/projects.html
http://linux-speakup.org/joinspeakup.html

Found source code for blinux which appears to be what ADRIANE is using
for text mode screen reading:
http://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/blinux/src/

I checked wikipedia's list of screen readers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screen_readers

There were a couple of projects that it listed that were Open Source:
http://code.google.com/p/webanywhere/
http://the-brannons.com/edbrowse/

Would be nice to dig up a few references on how distributions enabled
better support for this type of thing.  If there was a how-to, maybe
more distributions or interested users could add support.

Sincerely,
Laura
###