[school-discuss] Re: [IIEP] Fred's and Molly's points

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 10:12 -0400, Tony Bailetti wrote:

> 2. Fred makes a good point, what is meant by "Social software"?  What
> is the relationship between social software in FLOSS for education?
> Please explain with examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_software
Social Software lets people rendezvous, connect or collaborate by use of
a computer network. It results in the creation of shared, interactive
spaces. The term came into more common usage in 2002, largely credited
to Clay Shirky who organized a "Social Software Summit" in November of
that year. Shirky has defined social software as "software that supports
group interaction" [1]. Some more definitions are available from the
External links section below.
[1] http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html

http://socialsoftware.org/Home

Social Software is a group of volunteers based in the UK which hopes to
find ways of bringing the benefits of Open Source Software to the
voluntary / community sector.

Our first goal is to entice this sector to a major Social Software
conference towards the end of this year.

We are currently in the early planning stages. We expect the conference
to cover the following: present the Free Software approach  and Open
Source methodologies to the sector as a viable alternative to the
proprietary model imposed by Microsoft and
others...

http://www.google.co.in/search?q=social
+software&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial
Google links to social software.

Frederick 'FN' Noronha      | fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Co-Founder, BytesForAll.org | http://fn.swiki.net
Goa, India                  | +91(832)2409490 Cell 9822122436