Re: [school-discuss] Re: [IIEP] Social software, FLOSS & organisational transformatio n

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
michael dean a écrit :

Teachers changing the way they teach in order for e-learning to
succeed?  Wow!  I would like to ask for advice: I teach 8th grade Art.
My personal bias is to structure classes and homework oriented around
the students actually doing art.  I want them to paint, draw sketches
every day, get their hands dirty with charcoal and clay and oil paint.

How must I re-structure my teaching such that e-learning modules related
to Art will succeed?  Is this possible? Would e-art be a good thing or a
bad thing?   Do we really want just a digital world?

I guess your 8th grade could start by painting on the computer screen;-)

Hilaire

well, in lieu of 35 computers in the art/science room, I went out and bought 10 lbs of newsprint 3ft X 4ft in dimension and some charcoal sticks.  To paint on the computer screen is a severe limitation to human _expression_, does not allow studies in the round, i.e. sculture or throwing pots, and can't be proudly displayed on the walls of the school.  Leaving Art aside, science experimentation is another area similar, in which actual hands on experience is to be preferred to anything digital.  By the way, I am playing Devil's Advocate here, because to subsum teaching under e-learning, IMHO, is a mere human travesty.
Michael