Re:_[school-discuss]_Interview_with_Larry_Cuban,_Author?= of “Oversold and Underused: Computers in the Classroom”

I'm thinking of using our LiveKiosk.com program.  Even more efficient
than thin-client Linux.  But only web access.

Steve

On 9/9/06, James P. Kinney III <jkinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 09:13 -0700, Steve Hargadon wrote:

> It also seems that Linux and Open Source Software hold the potential
> to reduce acquisition and maintenance costs for providing a computing
> environment. The work in Indiana, in particular, should be very
> instructive. If the cost of having one-to-one computing can be
> significantly reduced, there should be a great opportunity to study
> the transformative effects of this kind of program. And I can't stop
> thinking about the concept of a "web appliance:" a no-maintenance
> computer that provides access to the web. If every classroom in a
> school had some number of "webstations" that the teachers knew were
> always available and would always work, would they begin to integrate
> web reasearch and other web tools into their classwork as easily as
> they have the overhead projector? This is something I would like
> specific feedback on, and would like to try some testing if anyone is
> interested.

What kind of testing and study are you thinking about? Morris Brandon
has a solid working set up (and more on the way in the area). As the
concept of "reliable web access" is a truly new thing at schools, Morris
Brandon is no exception to this, teachers are just realizing the
potential of anywhere web access.

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering