[school-discuss] open source special needs and early grade applications sought

Our special needs, Kindergarten, and first grade teachers are asking me for the following Linux apps to use on our school wide K12LTSP systems:

1. A talking word processor (Windoz app: Talk out loud): speaks the words as the students type them on the screen in the word processor

2. A predictive word processor (as students type words, it gives them typical choices to complete the words)

3. A talking screen reader, so that younger students can take tests like those in Accelerated Reader by having the questions read to them. Currently, parent volunteers come in to do this, but I know that at other Atlanta Public Schools where parent volunteers are few and far between, a computer-spoken version of online tests would be extremely useful.

Regards,
Daniel

--
Daniel Howard