Re: [school-discuss] Way cool Linux Robotics web app

Thought I'd mention a couple of projects and facts about robots,
education, and open source:

- most research-level robotics is done under Linux

- there are many open-source robotics and AI projects, including Python
Robotics at pyrorobotics.org, which lets users use Python (I'm involved
with that project)

- you can use Interactive C for many competitions, like Botball.org, which
runs under a variety of OSs. Interactive C is free.

- there is a new project underway to develop educational materials using
robots. See roboteducation.org. I am involved (and so is Microsoft). The
code we are developing will be "shared source" and will not require any
proprietary code. You can read some reviews there
(blog.roboteducation.org) of low-cost robots for education.

I'd be very interested in helping anyone get started in educational
robotics; drop me a line if interested, or post a comment on the blog.

-Doug