Re: [school-discuss] math/science Linux desktop - The Achilles Heel

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Daniel Howard wrote:

Yeah, William and I were discussing that over lunch after our meeting. We mused that it will be great when enough big districts like Atlanta Public Schools have Linux deployed everywhere and tell the book publishers that they want Linux versions of textbook support software...

And I assume that as Desktop use increases we will be more variety in the Sofware Biosphere... (grin). We are definitely monoclonal if you go into any computer store...

In the meantime, I think my eParent model will have to suffice: William and I provided much of the initial training of our teachers at Brandon, and then I formed a new PTA committee called the eParents so we could get parents to help out in learning new software and showing teachers how to use it. I'll try to assemble a cadre of technology-savvy parents from this high school, burn some live CDs they can use at home, and have each of them help. But I have to say these teachers today looked really motivated to learn this stuff.

You know Les, that's a really good point: there's probably a growing market now for software trainers that specialize in Open Source educational packages. Since Open Source schools are no longer spending that money on licenses, maybe now they can actually afford to hire a trainer to come in...

Training is needed, yes. And there might even be a living for trainers...

But we need teaching resources for our students.... the software itself is only part of the equation.

What skills do we want them to have? What basic concepts are required for our students to have? Pixel? Byte? Pits and Lands? MIME? Character Encoding? Unicode? Filesystem. Read-only, etc.

What skills? 'Can point and click'? 'Can create a powerpoint presentation'? 'Can search using Google'? or 'Can create and manage files in a filesystem'? 'Understands file attributes'? 'Knows what a process is', etc.

There also _must_ be some progress in the education outcomes area also... an outline of fundamental ideas and skills that our students should carry with them as they leave our schools... the same as we would want to have our own children to have.

The issue is one of balance between hardware, software, training, and resources, etc.

My 2 cents CDN worth.

Les Richardson
Open Admin for Schools
North Battleford, SK Canada

Daniel

Les Richardson wrote:
Hi Daniel,

The larger problem with any of this software use is the training aspect, and the teaching materials (if any).

If they are being used in a teaching context, then a teacher will want materials for assignments, etc. Having software without that will mean a much slower adoption rate.

Thus software is in a symbiotic relationship with support materials and documentation, teaching materials, etc.

That is another 'issue' that should be considered in any Linux based solution...

Les Richardson
Open Admin for Schools