Re: [school-discuss] Linux distribution

Yeah it's a if everyone what to have their own distro without taking in consideration what the market needs.
Actually am in Africa and am a great fan of Linux i really wish to take many people who have never used a computer to it, unfortunately i discovered that Linux guru don't care about beginners for them is as if for you to use it u should already know your way about it, now it should not be a surprise that where am living very few people have ever heard of Linux for those who do they consider it as something too complicate for the average man and that why for me it will be difficult to see it in the main stream.
On the other hand i believe a Linux distro targeting the world of Education will be great i know some people will say there's EDUBUNTU but for me am not sure it really answering the the demand of the educational world.
May be educators them selves should go and created their own distibution ???
hope i had more knowledge i would start one my self.
Thanks

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 08:06:05AM -0400, LM wrote:
> I've been communicating with a couple of Linux users who are
> interested in designing their own Linux distribution.

It's the wrong goal.  A potentially right one is to understand
what they want/need to accomplish by means of some software
and *then* to figure out what are the problems to do that
with existing distros, for example.

I know the game to some extent having seen quite a few forks
and some merges somewhat closely and having participated in
a few of those, and having supported Linux commercially for
something like ten years.

It's very important to understand whether there's a real goal
there or just a desire to fool around with some bling ideas
(and to step down when the wear of daily support comes close).

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
###