Re: [school-discuss] Linux distribution

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 08:42:53AM -0400, LM wrote:
> I'm finding it very interesting that the typical response when
> I contact a project is if you want it done, go do it yourself.

It's known from experience by some that this works at least;
and some others repeat what they've heard.

> When I volunteer to write or rewrite the code myself,
> they act like I shouldn't do that.

:]

There were many things redone from scratch in ALT Linux
for quite the similar reasons over last 12 years or so,
it tends to be quite weary though.  One is lucky not to
hit some crazy low/mid-level mainstream going "my way only"
like some G***E or s******d folks have succumbed to.

> One of the other reasons I was interested in the Eerie project
> was the possibility of sharing bits and pieces of what I'm
> working on with others at this point in time rather than
> waiting to share a more complete project.

Takes a lot of effort and care to actually get the message out
-- probably lasting for a few years with virtually no reply --
and then to handle the long-needed feedback.

> I see people distribution hopping and trying new distributions
> all the time and if users had everything they needed in their
> own distribution of choice, I can't understand why they'd need
> to do that.

Heh, I'm using that one since 2001 (probably Debian folks
tend to be that happy with their choice but in a different
manner); that *did* require quite an effort to make it even
better of course, and sometimes to keep it from getting worse.

---

Good luck, anyways!

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>