Re: SEUL: Target user for SEUL

I agree with this.  We might get around the concept thing with some clever
wording like:

Only the system Administrator is allowed to add a new user.  At the login
prompt, give the special Administrator username, root, and the password
that you set for it at installation time ...

Actually, it might be easier to refer to the administrator as "The
SuperUser" which will then drive two concepts home with one paragraph.

We just say that the SuperUser has a special login name ... root.

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, William T Wilson wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Erik Walthinsen (Omega) wrote:
>
> > Yup.  I was talking with a friend just now about this, and we figured that
> > it'd be simplest to just add another line at the top of /etc/passwd:
> >
> > Administrator:ABCDEFGHIJK:0:0:Adminisrtator:/root:/bin/bash
>
> I think the simplest thing to do is to forget about this altogether.  Why
> go through all the extra hassle, to simply change the name of root to
> Administrator?  This is not NT, I doubt the user is so stupid as to not be
> able to remember what 'root' means.  In addition to fouling up the
> 8-character username limit, and case sensitivity being a problem, let's
> just call a spade a spade (or root a root)...

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org