Re: stock market tracker

In message <35C3F662.523276D1@cyberis.net>, lyoder@cyberis.net writes:
>One is a small business accounting package.  (Does anyone know if such a
>thing already exists on Linux?)  Anyway, it's not just any small
>business accounting package, but a bunch of Perl scripts that will serve
>as one, using command line commands to make debits/credits and produce
>reports.  Basically just something I want for myself.

http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/finances02.html shows a huge number of
financial/business accounting packages. Apparently there are dozens of
them out there, precisely because each person builds their own. That link
is one of many on http://www.seul.org/what/links.html (which is definitely
not looking at if you're wondering about advocacy, productivity apps, etc
(But it's still far from complete.))

>Also I'm doing some work with PostgreSQL, and I'm wondering what people
>think of a Postgres back end to this?  It *is* included in RH5, so most
>people shouldn't find that a problem, and it would make record keeping
>simpler.

Yes, a database is a good plan if you're working with accounting stuff.
The general view towards postgresql is that it works, but it's got a lot
of overhead if you're just using it for a small application.

http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/rdbms.html

--Roger