Re: The Core and the Kernel

Micah Yoder wrote:

> Kai Wetzel wrote:
[...]
> > In order to show some other people GNU/Linux [...]
> > I would like to install Linux on a iomega ZIP medium and
> > be able to plug in the parallel-port Zip-drive with a
> > boot floppy and show people a vanilla GNU/Linux running
> > off the Zip medium with X and some apps.
[...]
> I actually mentioned that on the list a few months ago.  Actually I was
> thinking about *installing* from a Zip, but having a real Linux system
> on one is an even better idea.  That would be a great way to show people
> Linux!
>
> Only problem is, parallel Zips are slow as molassas.  But with an
> internal or SCSI it should be usable.

I agree it's slow.  I rarely use it because of this reason.
Howver, the good point is that it's possible to put a zip-drive
and the medium in a bag and show Linux to people at their
own boxes (with either 24MB of RAM or a dos partition with
some free space for a temporar swap file.)
(I've heard it's significantly faster if used with an ext2 fs ?)

> Other question:  Is this really a goal of SEUL?  I think it would be
> great...but would end users use it?

I don't think it's a main point for SEUL.  But SEUL could
be put on a Zip medium.  It's mainly for people who want
to show SEUL (GNU/Linux in general) to other people I think.

The main problems are the boot disk and the possible need
for a swap-file on 16MB machines.

> Maybe.....
[...]

kai