Re: Foundation (was Re: The Kernel (fwd))

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Paul Anderson wrote:

> Hey, George, have you put the source to your boot disks on the website?
> Can RPM be used beside DPKG?  Unfortunately, I have an RH4.2 system, and
> if I win the bid on that movie camera I won't be buying it for a bit...
> TTYL!

I will outline the process here though it is not guaranteed to be
repeatable ;)

The problem is that the current debian boot-disk make will not work on a
completely current bo system as the libraries have outpaced the source.
The hamm disks do not work on bo OR hamm as in this case, the libs on hamm
are lagging the source for his package.

What I did was installed the bo package on a hamm system from a
--force depends after attempting on two bo systems with failure.

The only Makefile changes I needed to make on that build were to modify
the pointers to the local Debian archive.  It made the root, resc1440,
resc2000, lmemroot, base-1, and base-2 disks before crapping out on
base-3.

At this point, it is simply a matter of having the proper versions of
libs.

I am doing a clean install tonite one of my spare systems of debian base
and just enough more to get the boot-floppy package installed and see if
it will build.  Not that this is useful in any way ... it was an excersize
for me and I thought it would be kind of a really neat novelty for someone
to see a disk that booted and the initial screen said SEUL instead of
Debian. Heck, it took three days just to find a configuration of source
and library versions that would even get that far.

These are bo system disks that I am building.  Hamm disks are not working
or are dependant on old libs that conflict with the current state of the
distribution.  I am really interesting in seeing them because they use the
new interface.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org